At this time of year after the indulgence of Christmas, people up and down the country will take part in a ‘detox’, perhaps as part of a New Year’s resolution or in an attempt to rid themselves of festive toxins. It brings up the debate of the healthiest and safest way to do such a thing, to avoid doing more harm than good.
It can be hard to know where to start, but fear not! We’ve come up with a few things to help you along the way!
- Detoxing doesn’t mean starving – Just because you are detoxing, it doesn’t mean you should stop eating full stop. Your body still needs nutrients and the point of detoxing is to ensure you’re flushing out toxins, not food in general.
- Consider removing foods such as caffeine, gluten, salt and sugar from your diet – These are addictive and by eliminating them, you will help restore your body back to its natural balance. If you have a tendency to add salt to your meals, avoid putting it on as excess salt in the body can lead to bloating.
- Keep yourself fully hydrated – Water is the most beneficial thing you can drink whilst detoxing, so if you can, try and stick to it exclusively. You should aim to drink 8 glasses a day. If you can’t bear the thought of water alone; green tea, lemon or cayenne pepper and lemon will add a little taste.
- Quality, natural sleep is key – Having quality sleep uninterrupted by electrical appliances and setting allotted bed times will help improve your sleep quality and better rejuvenate your body. Avoid using your mobile, tablet and computer for up to an hour before going to sleep. There are lots of natural remedies such as lavender which you can use to help you nod off.
- Antioxidants are your best friends! – Bright red and green fruit and veg is a great source of antioxidants so go crazy on berries, beetroot and broccoli! Antioxidants help renew cells, flush out toxins, boost your immune system and speed up your metabolism.
We would always recommend starting a detox with a clean kitchen and oven; you don’t want your new healthy food smelling of Christmas grease and smoke!
If you are planning on detoxing this January, we want to help you along the way, so we’ll regularly tweet and post recipes that will help you stay on track! Just follow us on twitter @oven_clean, we’ll be using #detoxjan or like us on Facebook so you don’t miss out!