We don’t know how it happened, but yet another school Summer Holiday is upon us and it’s a time that can often be expensive. But entertaining the kids doesn’t have to cost the earth - there is plenty you can do with them that won’t be too much of an expense. Check out some of our ideas below and you could be entertaining your brood in no time!
- Hand painting – It’s a fairly old school entertainment idea, but the old ones are always the best. Spend a day making prints with your hands – you could do anything from trees to caterpillars and even thumbprint cards for family and friends.
- Photo Shoots – They can be just for fun, or for you to frame and have as a keepsake. Try creating a scene using material on the floor, for example; a green towel for grass, blue socks for rain and an umbrella would make a great rainy day scene. Or try chalking a picture on tarmac - get your children to lie down and become ‘part of the scene’ whilst you take photos from above!
- Make a character scrap book – Get the kids to choose a toy each that will accompany them on all of their trips over the holidays. Take photos of the toy sat in various places and taking part in different activities - at the end of the holidays make a scrap book. It’s a great way of reminding the kids of what fun things you did throughout the weeks and it features one of their favourite toys. You could even use the scrap book for storytelling about said toy!
- Make a fort – There are invariably going to be some rainy days this summer so encourage the kids to stay quiet in the living room for a few hours. They may make a mess, but if you reward them for tidying with some chocolate, it should help!
- Get creative with food – Baking is always a great way to pass an afternoon with kids and the possibilities are endless in terms of what to bake. If you dare, let them creative with spaceships or castles! Take a look on our Pinterest board ‘Kids Club’ for baking ideas and if you fancy doing something a little healthier, there’s loads of great ideas for fruit too.
- Never underestimate the power of a cardboard box – It’s full of possibilities and will allow your children’s imagination to run wild! You could make anything from a house to a car to a rocket. Set the kids up outside with some paint, give them some gentle guidance and away they go!
- Puppet Show Night – Set up a white sheet with a large light or lamp behind it. Have the children spend the day creating 2D characters on card and cut them out to glue to sticks. Get them to perform for you in the evening and treat yourself to a night at the theatre for free!
- Create a quiz – If you’ve been on a visit somewhere like the beach or a local museum, why not make a quiz the next day to ask the children about what they’ve seen? It’ll ensure they’re paying attention as they walk around and gives you a way to entertain them the next day too.
As if that’s not enough, we’ve got more tips on our Twitter feed, @oven_clean so follow us to have some weekly inspiration! Lots of the ideas from this blog are also on our Pinterest page, Ovenclean. Should you want to remove something from your to-do list this summer holidays, give Ovenclean a call on 0800 840 7127 and we’ll help you out!