Our oven cleaning products review
If you are considering having your cooker serviced by an oven cleaning company, it’s likely you have looked at all the off-the-shelf oven cleaning products out there and wondered what the best oven cleaner is. Our brief review may help next time you are in the cleaning aisle at the supermarket!
This blog post is not intended to give oven cleaning instructions. Always follow product safety and oven manufacturer instructions.
Mr Muscle Foam
Image credit: http://www.onestopcleaningsupplies.co.uk/catering-supplies-chemicals/mr-muscle-oven-cleaner-pack-of-6/prod_97.html
Mr Muscle is probably one of the best known, foam oven cleaning products – after all, he “loves the jobs you hate”! This is the most traditional way of cleaning the oven and involves spraying expanding foam onto the oven interior, leaving it to work for a short while and then wiping away.
- Used regularly, Mr Muscle, and other foam cleaners will lift dirt away from the surface of your cooker
- Used correctly with the proper precautions, there is no safety risk
- It’s no secret that this is a highly hazardous substance which can cause skin and eye burns, and can be fatal if swallowed
- It’s recommended that clothes used while cleaning should be washed before re-wearing, which adds to the housework-load
- The fumes are noxious; it’s important to keep the kitchen well ventilated when cleaning
Oven Pride Liquid and Bag
Image credit: http://www.wilko.com/kitchen-cleaners/oven-pride-complete-oven-cleaner-500ml/invt/0218572
Oven Pride takes a two-step approach to cleaning, with an innovative bag. Wearing gloves throughout, you fill the bag with cleaning solution and soak grill racks overnight. At the same time, you coat the oven interior with liquid and leave. Afterwards everything needs to be rinsed with warm, soapy water, with bags and gloves disposed of.
- Not quite as messy as Mr Muscle
- Equally safe as long as all safety instructions are followed
- Can be used on the grill racks and simply rinsed off
- Just as hazardous as Mr Muscle, with a long list of precautions
- Requires a long time to work, meaning your oven is out of action during this time
- The bag needs to be disposed of carefully
Oven Mate Cleaning Gel
Image credit: http://www.elderberrydirect.co.uk/oven-mate-gel-cleaning-kit.html
Oven Mate is a gel that can be painted onto oven interiors (wearing protective gloves) and can be left for 3 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the level of grime.
- The acrid smell is greatly reduced with this product, although we wouldn’t say there is none at all
- Biodegradable, unlike the cleaners above
- A hazardous material capable of causing burns and serious injury
- Like all chemical oven cleaners, they are not suitable for use on enamel, Agas or stainless steel
- This must not be used on areas where Cillit Bang and similar products have been used, due to chemical reactions
Natural Methods of Cleaning
Image credit: http://kidconnectionz.com/all/vinegar-and-baking-soda-for-language/
There are a few ways of cleaning the oven with ingredients that can be found in the kitchen. One route is to soak the oven overnight with a mixture of baking soda and water, then wipe this away and spray with vinegar. The foaming reaction will help to lift grime. Alternatively, one method suggests adding lemon to water in a roasting pan and baking it for 30 minutes.
- No risk from chemicals or fumes, and safe for the environment
- Inexpensive ingredients
- The lemon juice and water alone isn’t enough to clean baked on dirt
- Whilst the baking soda route does work to an extent, serious stains will remain
- More laborious than some methods, requiring two rounds of application
As you’ll be aware from reading the rest of the website, after booking with Ovenclean, a local technician will come to your house and carry out the work. We take care of protecting the floor and clean the grill pans and racks as well as the oven, removing them to be cleaned in the van.
- No work required from you!
- No nasty chemicals or fumes - no need to store hazardous substances at home
- As well as cleaning, we replace items like filters and bulbs
- We tidy up afterwards (well, the floor protection anyway!)
- You’ll wonder at the amount of time you spent doing the cleaning before!
- Specialists get booked up at busy times like Christmas, so if the clean is for a special occasion, book early to avoid disappointment
If you would like to leave the hard work to us this time, just make an enquiry online or give us a quick call today.