The Best UK Oven Cleaners 2019
So, the new year is here and you’re thinking of detoxing your life. Starting with your kitchen! If you want to clean your oven, yourself with off-the-shelf products, where do you start? We’ve put together some oven cleaner reviews to help you make a decision.
This blog post is not intended to give oven cleaning instructions. Always follow product safety and oven manufacturer instructions.
7. Vinegar and Baking Soda
There are ways of cleaning your oven with products you’ve probably got in your kitchen cupboard. One of which is white vinegar and baking soda. All you need to do is mix half a cup of baking soda with a few tablespoons of water to form a paste. Leave the paste on overnight, to lift grime from your oven. The next morning, you can take a damp dish cloth and wipe the oven over. Then, spray the vinegar over any remaining residue. To finish, give it a final wipe over with some water.
Our rating: 7/10
- There’s no risk of chemicals or fumes, and it’s safe for the environment!
- It’s inexpensive, and most people already have these in their cupboards.
- It can cause stains of its own.
- It’s more time-consuming than other methods.
- The process can be quite laborious, if you need to repeat it.
Vinegar and baking soda can also be used for other DIY purposes in the kitchen. Take a look at our blog What natural cleaning products are best and how to use them
6. Astonish Oven & Cookware Cleaner Cleaning Paste, 500g
Astonish is a magic little pot of paste that removes grease and difficult stains. It can be used on a large variety of surfaces in the home, including your oven. You simply apply a small amount to the surface and rub with a damp sponge. Finish by rising with clean water.
Our rating: 7.5/10
- You can use it on ovens, cooker tops, pans, cookware, sink & tiles!
- The large tub lasts forever, and is great value for money.
- There are no harmful ingredients or chemicals.
- It includes biodegradable compounds for improved environmental safety.
- It’s more expensive than some other oven cleaners.
- You may need a little extra elbow grease for tough stains
5. HG oven, grill & barbecue cleaner 500 ML
At number 5, we have chosen HG oven, grill & barbecue cleaner. This one works different to most other products, as for the best results, the surface needs to be warm. The product is then applied to the surface for only 3 to 5 minutes before being wiped off with a damp sponge.
Our rating: 7.5/10
- Quick and easy oven cleaner with minimal effort.
- Versatility – it’s also suitable for the grill and BBQ cleaning.
- It’s not as effective on tough stains, and may need repeat applications.
- It’s more expensive than other products.
- Due to it being dangerous if comes into contact with your skin, you must wear protective wear.
4. Oven Mate Cleaning Gel
At number 4, Oven Mate is a gel that can be painted onto the interior of your oven. Gloves and a brush are included, and it can be left for anything between 3 minutes to 3 hours! Similar, to some of the best oven cleaners, there is no scrubbing required, just leave it on to work its magic!
Our overall rating: 8/10
- No scrubbing required.
- The smell is nowhere near as strong, although we wouldn’t say there is none at all.
- It’s biodegradable.
- A brush and gloves are included.
- This one contains dangerous chemicals so caution is required.
- Like all chemical oven cleaners, they are not suitable for use on enamel, AGA’s or stainless steel.
- You must be careful not to use this on areas where Cillit Bang and similar products have been used, due to chemical reactions!
3. Oven Pride Liquid and Bag
Oven Pride has introduced a fantastic unique bag system and all-in-one solution which has scored it third place on our list! Wearing the supplied gloves throughout, you fill the bag with cleaning solution and soak grill racks overnight. At the same time, coat the inside of your oven with liquid and leave. Afterwards everything needs to be rinsed with warm, soapy water, and the bags and gloves disposed of.
Our rating: 8/10
- Not as messy as some other cleaners.
- Can be used on the grill racks!
- Requires minimal effort compared to some oven cleaners.
- It gives out fumes and is just as hazardous as many other oven cleaning products.
- Requires a long time to work, meaning that you won’t be able to use your oven for a while.
2. Oven Brite
Our number 2 is the Oven Brite cleaner. This is of the best oven cleaners as it is extremely effective, and for a good price. It even comes with a bag and bottle for disposal and gloves! With 500ml (200ml more than Muscle) you’ll have plenty of product, so it really is great value for money!
Our rating: 8.5/10
- 500ml is plenty of solution, therefore it’s great value!
- Gloves, a bag and a bottle come in the box.
- The solution is carefully made to be fume-free, so it’s not as hazardous as some other products.
- There is quite a long list of safety warnings so you need to read these before using the product.
- Recommended to leave overnight which means your oven is out of action.
1. Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner
Our top oven cleaner is Mr Muscle! One of the best known and most popular oven cleaning products – after all, he “loves the jobs you hate”. There are a range of Mr Muscle products, but we love this one in particular as there is no scrubbing required! All you need to do is spray it on your oven, where it will work on any grime, and wipe it off a couple of hours later. Visit one of our previous blogs for more information on using this product: Our advice on Mr Muscle oven cleaner.
Our rating: 9/10
- Used regularly, it will lift dirt away from the surface of your cooker
- Due to a unique self-scouring formula, no scrubbing or scraping is needed.
- Fast acting (no need to leave on overnight)!
- If used incorrectly, it is highly dangerous which can cause skin and eye burns,. Click here to find out what toxic chemicals are in your oven cleaning products.
- It’s recommended that clothes used while cleaning should be washed before re-wearing!
- It can give out very strong fumes. So, you must keep your kitchen well ventilated
Professional oven cleaning
Oven cleaning has been voted the most hated household chore, so if you would rather get a professional in, why not call Ovenclean? Click here to see some before and after photos – our specialists can make your oven sparkle in just a few hours.
We are the UK’s original oven cleaning service with over 20 years’ experience. We use an innovative, non-added caustic system which is exclusive to Ovenclean, achieving spectacular results with no harmful fumes and no mess!
If you would like to leave the hard work to us this time, make an enquiry online or give us a quick call today.
- 5 Top Tips to Cleaning an Electric Oven
- DIY Oven Cleaning Products: Why You Should Use Natural Oven Cleaning Products
- The Best Way to Clean an Oven
- How to Clean an Oven Quickly