Toffee Apple Muffins
With the British apple season now in full swing, we have come up with the perfect Autumnal treat for you to try!
2 eating apples, pealed, cored and chopped into small pieces
1 tsp cinnamon
400g plain flour, sifted
1 tbsp baking powder
150g caster sugar
50g light muscavado sugar
75g butter, melted
284ml carton of buttermilk
100g toffees, chopped into chocolate chip-sized pieces
- Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases and preheat the oven to 200°C / 400 °F / gas mark 6.
- Place the chopped apple in a bowl and sprinkle with the cinnamon - stirring to coat the apple.
- Place all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir together the eggs, melted butter and buttermilk, then transfer to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
- Slowly fold in the apple.
- Divide about half of the mixture between the 12 cases and sprinkle equally with the toffee pieces, then use the rest of the mixture to cover the toffee pieces.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool or eat warm with a large dollop of ice cream!