Pancake Day Recipe of the Month - Maple Bacon Pancakes
Obviously tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday, and so this month's recipe just had to indulge our love for all things pancake!
Having recently been introduced to the delights of what can only be described as a taste explosion, which results from the extraordinary flavour combination of salty, crisp streaky bacon and sweet, golden maple syrup, we thought we'd do something a little different to the usual crepe style pancakes, and put together a recipe for these American-esque beauties.
If you haven't tried them yet, let tomorrow be the day - you'll never look back!
Serves 4-6 people
2 x eggs
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp butter, plus a little extra for frying
pinch of salt
1 x packet of streaky bacon
Lots of maple syrup
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- In a measuring jug, beat together the milk, eggs and finally add the butter. Beat this mixture into the dry ingredients to make a thick batter.
- Place the bacon in the grill and cook until nice and crispy!
- In the meantime you can make the pancakes - heat a frying pan on a medium heat and add the butter. Once hot, pour a small amount of the batter into the pan - a large spoonful should work well. If you can fit more in the pan, simply repeat until it is full of pancakes but make sure they don't touch if possible.
- The pancakes are ready to flip when small bubbles start to appear on the surface. Flip and leave for a minute or two until the other side is lightly browned.
- Stack the cooked pancakes as you go in a warmed oven.
- When you've cooked all the pancakes, stack them up high, add the crispy bacon on top and drizzle liberally with maple syrup - tuck in!
If the combination of maple syrup and bacon really doesn't appeal, why not try out one of the other toppings we've come up with below:
- Simply spread the pancakes with butter and your favourite jam - they make a great alternative to toast!
- For a healthy twist, add a handful of blueberries to the batter before cooking and serve with low fat greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey - all the taste with less fat - win/win!
- Try adding 1 tsp ground cinnamon to the flour mix and serve with caramelised apples and a dollop of cream = pure indulgence!
- Slice up a banana and layer pancake, banana and a drizzle of golden syrup - repeat!