We're sure there will be many Mothers out there, who, perhaps even more than a box of chocolates or bunch of flowers, would really appreciate a good lie-in this Mother's Day!
So, why not treat your Mum this year and, while she relaxes and makes the most of a few extra hours in bed, prepare her a fun and scrummy breakfast (with a bit of help from Dad if needs be!)?
These breakfast cups are really quick and simple to prepare with just a few ingredients, but fun for younger kids to get involved in too and taste sooooo good!
Ingredients to feed 4 (2 cups each):
8 slices bread
8 rashers streaky bacon
About 2 tbsp butter
You will also need a muffin tray
Optional accompaniments: A few chopped and fried mushrooms, baked beans, sausages, grilled tomatoes - we could go on...!
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas mark 4/ 180°C/ 350°F.
- In a frying pan, fry the bacon rashers until just cooked - they will continue to crisp up in the oven.
- Cut the crusts off the slices of bread and using a rolling pin, roll out each piece until it is nice and thin and stays squashed.
- Using a large round cutter (we used a 98mm cutter), cut out a circle from each of the slices of bread, cut in half and butter them sparingly. Use the pieces to line the muffin tray cups, with the buttered side facing out to touch the tray. Use any off-cuts of bread to make sure there are no holes in the bread cases.
- Place a rasher of bacon in each cup and top with an egg.
- Place the muffin tray in the pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes until the white of the egg is just cooked.